7.12.2010

Palmyra - Sacred Grove

Well, this picture is not from our weekend trip to Palmyra, but I just had to throw it in. It is from Owen, Scott's brother who is an artist. It is dried flowers, and I love it. It is so pretty here in our living room, it brightens things up and it is gorgeous to look at!



Now on to our trip! We had a great time. Palmyra is only about 4 hours from our house here in OH. It is a really pretty drive. The kids did amazing, I was so proud of them! They were both awake the entire drive up there, but just played, talked, and ate snacks. Just like us! :) It was fun to have a little road trip as a family, to spend time chatting with Scott, and to enjoy being in a new place. These pictures aren't really in order, so bear with me as I jump around.

This is a picture from the Grandin Printing Office. I loved this tour when I took it several years ago while I was on a church history tour. This time around it was CROWDED because of the Pageant and because it was pouring rain outside. Plus we had our kids who were exhausted, etc. I'd like to go back sometime when the crowds aren't around because I loved learning about how the Book of Mormon was originally printed. These are the languages that the Book of Mormon is printed in:
We were so lucky to meet up with my brother and his family. They had been in Cooperstown NY at a baseball tournament for my nephew and made the drive over to Palmyra. It was great to see them and Will was really loving having some time with cousins. He told us several times on the drive up that these were his favorite cousins. He just loves cousins.... it doesn't matter what cousins he's going to see, the ones nearest are his favorites! Again, this is in the Grandin Building.
While we were in Palmyra, we got to go do baptisms with my niece and nephew at the temple. It was a lot of fun. The Palmyra temple has the prettiest temple windows I've ever seen. They are mostly stained glass to look like the Sacred Grove. It is also the only temple that has a window that you can see out and into. That window looks out right at the Sacred Grove.

Don't look at my lovely wet hair.....
We also enjoyed going to the Smith farm, and Sacred Grove. This is some of the most beautiful and lush country I've ever seen. It was hot, but it was still so pretty. It is such a special place, watching thousands of people trek through here was just another witness to the sacred nature of what happened here.



I took these pictures of Will as we were on our tour. He is so handsome, and growing up so fast. I can't believe what a sweet little boy he is and how he grows and learns so quickly.


Here's Will with Denver and Zebbie. He was attached to Denver the entire time, Denver was a good sport about having a little tag-a-long!
Headed into the grove.....
A family picture in the grove. It is so pretty, and goes on and on for miles.


We loved Palmyra and we are excited that we can go back and visit again sometime! I am hoping we can plan a trip in the fall so we can see how gorgeous it is with all the fall colors.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so exciting you guys got to go. Dave and I seriously loved our time there...I am just jealous that you got to see the Hill Cumorah Pagent. Well thanks again for letting us crash at your place. It was great to see you guys!

Lorinda said...

I've been there....and loved it! Looks like you had a wonderful time and how cool to meet your family! I really, really liked Niagra Falls...a bit overwhelming and huge. Love, love that will still has his little creatures in tow.

brooklin said...

Love it! What a fun trip!! But don't forget us down here... we just moved into a new BIGGER place and are craving some visitors! It's no charming Mortensen home, but there is a whole basement you can take over. :)

ps-- I LOVE the new picture from Owen and can't wait to have a house to fill up with Leaf art!!!

paigernate said...

what a fun getaway! FABULOUS family picture in the Sacred Grove- how cool is that!?!

Wes said...

Sounds like a great trip!

Nells-Bells said...

so cool. i have always wanted to go here but never had the chance. hopefully some day!!

p.s. i really really wish owen would give me pictures like that. AWESOME!