6.08.2010

my weekend

This past weekend was great! We had big plans to go to Erie PA, stay in a hotel, wake up refreshed and ready to run our 10K. Well, Friday, Will was sick, so let our friends stay in our hotel and we hung out at home. Saturday morning, we woke up at 5am, packed up the car and drove to Erie, just in time to start our 10K. Since the boys had to get up so early, Scott didn't run with me, he just stayed with them in the stroller and cheered me on. I was glad I had their support.

Along the trail we were running, there were all sorts of animals, and HUGE turtles. Some of the kids found a smaller turtle and Will thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Here's Eli cheering me on. Yes, both boys are in PJ's. We had to pull them out of bed and we knew we were headed to the beach after my run, so we didn't bother with clothes. They went from PJ's to swimsuits!
Here I come! I was running so fast it was pretty much a blurr when I passed Scott with the camera, NOT. I'm probably the slowest runner ever. I don't think it even qualifies as running, more like fast walking/slow jog. But hey, it took me 6.2 miles, so I'm pretty proud of that!
I'm not sure what I'm doing, I think I was trying to give Will a high five. This was at mile 3.1.... that is why I'm still smiling and don't look like I'm in pain.
YAY! I finished! See? This is obviously the end of the race, I look like I can barely stand up. Plus, I'm really red and sweaty. And Will's pouting because he wants to the see the turtle some more.
These are my gal pals that ran the race also. They are awesome girls, I'm so glad I know them and have them as friends. I'm also glad they motivate me to keep running! It goes Me, Alison (who is a Lone Peak alum... crazy!) Stacey (she dominated the race, she was the THIRD person to finish, FIRST girl.... she kicked my butt), then Kathy who poured water on her shirt... hahaha! ;) Then Paige who was only going to run 3 miles but thought what the heck, and did the whole thing..... yes, she's awesome like that. Then Lisa who accidentally got off the trail and ran an extra mile, and just kept running the whole time, that is so awesome! Thanks for motivating me girls!
We ran the race at a place called Presque Isle, near Erie PA. It is a beautiful state park. I loved the run, it is right along the waters of Lk. Erie. There are tons of well kept, well groomed beaches, with bathroom, etc. So after our run, we headed to the beach. It was great. The day was perfect, and our kids loved it.
Before we headed to the beach, we went with our friends to "our" hotel that we didn't end up staying at. Three other families also stayed there, so we borrowed their shower, changed our clothes, and swam in the pool for a bit before heading to the beach. This was Eli's first pool experience, he wasn't thrilled. He look completely nervous and scared. But Will was loving it, and had a great time swimming with Scott.
My boys. Look at Eli's nervous face, he just kept looking all around at the water, it was pretty cute.
He enjoyed laying on the blanket at the beach much better. This is how he spent the afternoon. I love his little bare chest, it's the cutest. Check out those arm muscles! He's pretty ripped for 7 months!
Okay, I love this picture. Will is playing catch with our friend Justin. He just threw the ball. Ha! Look at his face! It is so funny and his arms look funny too, but at least he has a good follow-thru! Thanks for entertaining our kids Justin!
Ready to catch!
It was a great day. I can't think of a better way I could have spent my birthday. On our way home, we stopped and got Cheesecake for my birthday cake! Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake of course. It was delish. I downed it, plus a whole bowl of popcorn and a dr. Pepper. Go me!

4 comments:

Lorinda said...

Way to go you race-runners! 6.2 miles Kara...you ROCK. That is about 6 miles more that I can do right now. I'm so happy you are all enjoying life. Eli is so, so cute lying on the blanket. Such a handsome little man. Miss you lots!

Justin and Stacey said...

So glad you had a great birthday!! No worries on the cheesecake...You just ran 6.2 miles for heaven's sakes!! :) Fun day!

Grandpa Glenn said...

Holy cow, Kara.... is there anything you CAN'T do?! You da woman!! My son, Scott, is so lucky to have you!

Becca said...

First of all, Happy Birthday!!
Second, WOW! I'm so proud of you to run a 10K - it makes my poking up our little hill here at Como seem like nothin! Keep it up, Lady!