5.30.2010

soccer, day one

Well, we did it. We survived our first day of team sports. All I can say is that is was pretty hilarious and stressful. When Will woke up, he was refusing to go to soccer. So I told him he could choose, but if he wasn't going to go, I was going to throw away his jersey and shorts..... a little bribery doesn't hurt, right? I still wanted him to make the choice, but I was definitely trying to persuade him a little. Anyways, all morning he was fighting and arguing with me about it. So I basically said never-mind we're not going. Then about 10 minutes later he came upstairs while I was dressing Eli and said "Okay mom, I thought about it, and I decided it would be a really good choice to go to soccer."

So, we were on our way! The next four pictures clearly showcase how we spent the first half of our soccer practice. Will sitting on his ball, refusing to do anything with his team, just watching, and yelling at his "coach" Grant to check out his light up shoes. And there I was sitting on the sidelines red in the face that he wouldn't even try to have fun. Finally I called him over to the side and told him if he wasn't going to play and have fun then we were going to go home. He told me "just a minute mom and I will!" Well..... gratefully, he started warming up, and ended up doing great and having a ton of fun. I was so happy for him, he really had a great time. I think he was a little nervous at first that he didn't know the kids, or what to expect really. Plus, he gets really shy and nervous about trying new things. He's always been timid, I guess I thought he would grow out of it sooner. I don't even care if doesn't learn "skills" or play the game, I just want him to have fun with other kids, be social, and just run his little heart out for exercise.




In the end, we were both happy. He's been excited about it ever since, so I hope we won't have to do any convincing next week! :) I LOVED watching him run after the ball with the mass of kids. It was so fun, and he literally ran his little heart out. He ran and ran and ran and ran after that ball for over 20 minutes. He had a chance where he was the only kid near the ball, and I started yelling "kick! kick!" but he got so excited and worried that others were running toward him that he picked up the ball and chucked it. It was great.
After his scrimmage, he was super excited to have juice and goldfish! I was so proud of him for giving it a try I just kept telling him how great he did and how much fun it was to watch him. I love you Will!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

So cute! I think half the fun of starting little guys in soccer is just to see the different ways they take to it. Easton will start this fall and we're interested to see how he does.

Grandpa Glenn said...

Will might be interested in how his cousin, Caleb did this year. At the first of the year he kept saying that he really didn't like soccer, and he didn't want to play. And in the games he seldom even got near the ball. But he gradually figured out what he was supposed to do and he gained a little courage. In the last game he got a really good assist, and he kicked the ball (always in the right direction) at least 25 times! I couldn't believe the progress in just one season! He even admitted that he likes the game now. So there is always hope for Will.