4.12.2010

pillow talk


Last night, I had one of those conversations with Will that I don't ever want to forget. Eli was already wrapped snug in his bed snoozing away. Scott was gone to a church meeting. So, Will and I leisurely got ready for bed. We sat on my bed to read scriptures. After reading scriptures Will asked me a couple questions and we laid there and talked for a minute. Then I said "Okay, let's go brush teeth and then I'll tuck you in...." Will looked at me and smiley said "Okay mom, but then can we just lay in bed and talk?" How do you say "no" to that? Or pass up that kind of opportunity? So, did just that. Brushed teeth, said prayers, and laid in the guest bed (remember Eli was asleep) and talked for awhile. Will asked me all sorts of questions, from how many temples there are, to if I remembered President Hinckley, then asked me what President Hinckley taught us, then asked all about Satan and his many intriguing personalities and names, then talked about family, cousins, and all sorts of stuff. He was so funny, and so sweet. He didn't just lay quietly still listening to all my answers, he was rolling around the bed, playing with his feet and playing with my hair and face. I didn't care, I just love my sweet little Will. He has such a tender heart and it was so fun to just lay by him and chat.

I hope it's not the last time..... this was one of those moments as a mother that I could relive everyday. And today, I was glad I had that moment, especially while he was throwing our garden shovel at the neighbor's house while screaming at the top of his lungs. Yep, it was one of those days.... but that's okay! Because I have these sweet moments to remember what life and mothering is really about.

The photo is from almost exactly a year ago. A few days after Will turned 3. I can't believe he's just days away from turning 4. My baby has gone, and here comes "boyhood." Oh dear, I hope I'm ready for the next few years!

4 comments:

Grandpa Glenn said...

Boy, I sure miss playing with Will! What a great kid! He seems to really be interested in a lot of things and listens to what everyone has to say... even when it is an adult conversation. I can't wait for you to get here for Eli's big important events.

Lorinda said...

good for you for soaking in that time with Will. Isn't it all to easy to just brush opportunities like that under the rug?

I hope he didn't actually HIT the neighbor'house with that shovel!

brooklin said...

oh kara-- what a great experience for both of you! it's all so sweet-- this is exactly why i want reagan to marry will!!

Sara the Survivor said...

I promise you that you will have more of those special moments with all of your kids! I love "girl" time with Tori and lately, Evan and I have had some great conversations. I can't wait for Isaac to talk and get to enjoy those moments with him as well! Those moments always outshine the "shovel" incidents in our lives!