3.26.2010

CH-CA-GO!

We made it! Chicago was a lot of fun, I'm glad that we got to go and experience what Chicago has to offer. It is a great vacation spot, even with kids. I would go again next year!.... if we're invited :) Get ready for a whole bunch of pictures......

First, the hotel did not disappoint. It was great. Very roomy, kind staff, clean, new, modern, and a wonderful view. Oh and an awesome shower, with separate bath tub (great for the kiddos), and really yummy smelling soap and shampoo!

(I think this is the only time Eli has ever looked small... on our king size bed! :) This bed served us well, every night but the first, all four of us slept cozy in this big bed!)
This is the view out of our hotel window. It does not do it justice. It was really pretty, an amazing view of the lake and a great park down below. We were on the 36th floor.
Giordanos. Yum, yum, yum. We ate there three times. Delicious pizza. Thanks for the recommendation Lori!!
While Scott was in an all day meeting, I braved a taxi and took the kids to the children's museum. The museum was great, the taxi not so much. First of all, I wasn't sure the driver knew where I was going, then we was ticked off because I was only going a mile and a half. So, the entire way, which he took the LONG route, he was cursing that some other taxi should have taken us. Yes, he ripped us off, but I didn't care, I just wanted to get out of there. Why didn't we walk if it was so close? Well, remember the "windy" city? That's Chicago. Not only is it crazy windy, it is cold wind, blowing right off the lake. I'd been out walking a bit in the morning and knew there was no way I could walk both kids to the museum, so we opted for a taxi. 8$ and 1 mile later, I probably should have just sucked it up and pushed through the wind..... now I know. Oh, the above picture is Will in the fireman's ladder....
This was Will's favorite part of the museum, these weird ramp thingies that he would move around and run all over them. I was glad he was getting out some energy.
In the dinosaur section of the museum. Will really liked digging up bones and sticking his hand in the dino's mouth. It's right up his alley, sharp teeth, bones, and dinosaurs.
This is Eli. This is how Eli saw Chicago. He's cute.
The Children's museum is at Navy Pier. Outside the museum is a big amusement park-like place. On the upper floor is a really pretty conservatory with fountains that have water spurting everywhere. We stopped to see the fountains and enjoy a little sunshine, inside, out of the wind. Will really liked the fountains. He liked going to the museum toy store even more. Then he liked the squishy snake (of which he already has 100's) and just had to have it.
Day two. Yes, Eli is very tired in this picture, but he was such a good baby the entire time. Just looked around and smiled at people, all the way up Michigan Ave and back. I hated to just hang out in the hotel when Chicago has so much to do and see, so I took the boys and we walked up Michigan Ave. Saw lots of fun shops, restuarants, and weird people. Will was a trooper, oh was I ever proud of him. He only complained about being tired a few times. When we were pretty close to our hotel, I told him I would let him ride in the stroller and I would carry Eli. So, I took Eli out and we started back up the street. Well, have you ever tried to push a stroller and carry and 18 pound baby at the same time, weaving in-between people and crossing streets? It is not easy. So, then I thought maybe Will could hold Eli on his lap for a minute to let my arms rest. That worked great for about a block. Then I was worried he was going to slip and fall out, or something, plus people were staring at me (which wouldn't be the first time). So, I made Will just walk the rest of the way, which he hardly complained about. I'm pretty sure we walked a good couple of miles all at once. What a great 4 year old!
The next few pictures are of downtown while we were walking around. I really liked Chicago, it is easy to get around and you can stay within a few blocks and have lots of great stuff within walking distance. Plus, it is a very pretty city, I thought.

Will was really into making funny faces for the camera. Here's one of my favorites!

Chicago day three! Scott had most of the day off. We had a yummy lunch, and then we headed to Shedd Aquarium. We had a great time, and in true Will fashion, he thought it was great!

This is Eli again. He's cute. He's still in this blasted stroller, poor child. By the end of the trip, he was practically rolling over trying to not get put in there.
"We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine...."
Planet Earth in 4D. I wasn't exactly sure what 4D meant until I got sprayed in the face with water.... Will wasn't too fond of that, neither was Eli, I think he got it more than I did. He's pretty cute in his shades though, and look! He's out of the stroller! Oh, and Will is hilarious in this picture, especially since he is staring at a blank screen because he didn't want his picture taken.
Outside the Aquarium. Beautiful view of Chicago and lake. And cute boys.

"The BEAN!" My namesake! :) Here's Will's funny face again. And Eli, in the stroller.

The bean is actually really cool, we had some fun taking pictures by it.



After a long day of site-seeing, he's pooped. IN the stroller, for the first time, he fell asleep.
Chicago day 4. Before we headed to the airport, we had some time to do a little more sight seeing. We headed up to the Hancock building. The view was awesome, even though it was cloudy. It made me dizzy though. And the lake is so pretty. Our pictures really don't do it justice. It is really blue and pretty.... good adjective use, huh?!
Well, until next year Chicago! We had a lot of fun, I'm glad we got to go and enjoy some time as a family. It was also great to not have to cook or clean up the kitchen for a few day! :) Will thought the hotel was awesome and our boys both did great traveling all over the place and eating in restaurants every meal.

12 comments:

stacibee said...

Oh how I LOVE Chicago! I'm glad you had such a great time! Your family is beautiful.

Mary said...

How fun!! Now that we'll be here for a long time, we'll have to make a trip there! Glad you had fun & nice hotel!!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been there when Will was in the aquarium. When we went there last year Dave and I just kept saying how much he would love it! Hope you are all doing well...we miss you guys!

The Bryger Family said...

You are so brave, I would be so nervous to go out in the city with 2 boys. But what great memories you will have now that you did that. So much fun. I love love the pictures next to the bean, that is way fun. You all look so happy, I am so glad. we miss you guys.

kasey

Grandpa Glenn said...

Once again, Kara, I am amazed at what a neat Mom you are, to use every free minute to do something exciting and memorable! And your boys are such good sports about the whole thing! I can't wait to see all of you!

Justin and Stacey said...

So did the picture behind your hotel bed catch your hair? Ha! Looks a little fancier than Pittsburgh! What a great trip!! It looks like you had a blast. Kara, props for taking the boys out by yourself every day. You're a trooper :)

Lori said...

So much fun! I really do love chicago. . .my dream is to go when the weather is nice, because it can be sooo cold. But still so fun even when it's freezing :)
Great pictures, your boys are too cute! And I was laughing pretty hard about the taxi cab experience - that driver is a jerk! oh well. . .

Sara the Survivor said...

I love Chicago! When I turned 21 one of my good friends took me there for my Birthday! It's a very fun city to visit. I'm glad you had a blast and wow - you guys did a lot! And those crazy taxi drivers!

Amy said...

What a fun trip! My boys and I are tagging along with Todd to a conference in May and this makes me even more excited! Thanks so much for the Qunioa recipe link - I've loved finding new ways to use it. Your boys are DARLING, love seeing the pics and how they're becoming best little friends!

monica said...

I want to go to Chicago! That is such a fun city. Did you visit the Miracle Mile? Shopping at it's finest. I miss you.

Shae said...

What a great trip! Your boys are so cute and you are a great mom!

Krista said...

Thanks for sharing about your trip! I loved hearing about it. You are BRAVE to take a taxi by yourself. Maybe it's just my bad experiences in taxis...but I would NOT be doing it myself I don't think! I'm sure the Venezuela bus gave you some good prep however! :)