10.19.2009

Eli....

I know several of you are confused, most of you had no idea we were even considering adoption. Well, for the past couple of months our lives have been a whirlwind! It has been a crazy, emotional, yet rewarding journey. 

For several years now, we've been wanting to add to our family, and last night, it happened! We have the sweetest birthmother we could have asked for. She went in to the hospital to get induced Sunday morning around 9am. At 6pm Sunday night, she was still only at a 2, the baby had moved completely posterior, and was very high. So she had a couple options and after tearfully considering them, she chose to have the baby via C-section. She was very nervous, yet knew that physically and emotionally it was the right thing for her to do. 

At around 8:20pm they put me in sterile clothes (per our birthmoms request that I be in attendance. She told me it was my story to tell our little guy when he gets older and it should be me in the room with her), wheeled our little mama into the operating room with me holding her hand and started to get her prepped for surgery. They started the surgery and NO LESS than 5 minutes later, we had a baby. It was an amazing experience to watch and participate in first hand. As I sat behind the curtain with our birthmom, trying to reassure her things were going well and it would be over soon, the doctor leaned over and said "Kara, stand up!" So I stood up and he said "watch!" and then out came my little boy. My first reaction was "Oh my gosh, he has a ton of hair!" my second reaction was "That is MY baby, and he is SO handsome." Then I thought wow, he looks so healthy. Rolls all over, CHUBBY kissable cheeks, and seriously the best curly hair ever. If I pull out one of his wringlets it is like 2 inches long! I love it. Oh and he has LONG fingers and toes. Then I thought "I better shut off the water works and get it together so I can function...." it was a teary moment, for all involved!

Then they pulled me away from our birthmom and I got to watch the baby get cleaned up, sucked out, and then I got to carry him out to show Scott and take him to the nursery. He was the only baby in the nursery so we got to be very involved. The sweet little thing came out thinking he was starving so I fed him a bottle which he guzzled, and from then on he was drunk with happiness. Scott bathed him and he slept through it! What newborn baby sleeps through it's first bath?? Ours apparently. The nurse said "It looks like all you'll have to do to keep him content is feed him!" :)

Here's his stats (then you can enjoy some photos!)
Date of birth Oct. 18
Arrival time 9:09pm
Weight 8lbs. 5oz.
Height 18 inches
Demeanor CUTE CUTE CUTE, and calm.... so far

Savoring every little moment of holding him the night he was born. Those are the most special moments, when they are so new and smell just like a baby should, eyes swollen shut, squirmy little bodies, I love it. This picture above gives you a good shot of his head of hair. I can't keep my fingers out of it. I had to ask our birthmom for special instructions on how to take care of it..... it is going to be interesting! :)
Right after birth, all squishy and wet with the white vernix stuff.
VERY mad that they are poking him around and rolling him from side to side.... I wouldn't like it either Eli!
FINALLY, in mom's arms, can you tell I have a huge grin behind my mask? I forgot that I had it on! I waited for this moment a very long long time, it was not disappointing!
First time with Dad

First bath, after the bottle, slept through the whole thing and even smiled a little when we rubbed his head/hair
Welcome to our family Eli, this is going to be awesome! You have a big brother anxiously waiting to see and hold you.... darn that swine flu, you can't let big brothers visit in the hospital unless you are over 14.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kara congrats! Dave and I are SO excited for you and we are so happy everything worked out so well! He is such a cute little guy...I can't wait to see pics of him and Will together!

Barton Family said...

oh Kara and Scott I am so overwhelmed with joy right now. Eli is just perfect. I love the name. I am so glad that Scott was able to make it for the birth. And how amazing that you were able to be in the room for the C-section. I am so glad that he is here safe, sound and healthy. Congrats. I cannot wait to see more pictures and hear about more details. Good LUck!!
~Alyse

Jessica A said...

Congratulations! We are so excited that he is finally here! I have been checking your blog every day, anxious to see the little man! We could not be happier for your family!

Chrissy said...

Kara, I could hardly read your blog entry because of tears. What an amazing experience you have had, to be there when he was born! We are so happy for Eli to be part of your family forever. Could Clayton have some of Eli's hair, he's still bald? Thanks for sharing your experience with me.

DA & J said...

Congrats! We are so excited for you guys to have another little one. Can wait to meet him!

Sara"Fantabulous" Smith said...

Wow - that is so cool. Seriously. I'm not a cryer but the eyes did tear up (I know - pathetic but hey, there were legitimate tears there!). He is so cute! Congrats again guys!!!

Sara

Heathere Willoughby said...

Kara - Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful experience! We are sooooo happy for you guys! Congratulations!

Heathere Willoughby said...

I am sooo excited and happy for you guys! Congratulations!

Jenn said...

Holy cow - what a cutie!!!! How exciting! This is so wonderful for your family. Can't wait to meet you, Eli!

The Ogden Family said...

in the delivery room! that is great. what a lucky baby to have you loving him already. congrats congrats congrats!

Shelly said...

Oh MY GOODNESS!! What a wonderful surprise!! What an exciting time for your family. He is absolutely beautiful! You've had an extraordinary experience in witnessing all this and getting to participate without having to recover! Love the name. Good luck with everything.

Crystal said...

Oh my goodness, he is such a cutie! That hair is just the best:) Congrats! What an awesome experience...Nate and I are both so excited for your family!

jkmortensen said...

Thanks for posting the story. We haven't wanted to bother you with the story yet so we are happy to read about it.
Loves
btw: good name Lia already has it down!

Brian said...

WE ARE SO HAPPY FOR THE MORTENSEN FAMILY!! We'll have to make another trip up to see you and meet the little guy. Congratulations again and again!

Cassi said...

That is amazing! Congrats! He's adorable! When can we come see you guys and meet him? :)

Tana said...

He is a DOLL!! You made me cry too. Congrats to you all. You are amazing parents! I bet Will is excited as well.

Amy said...

Congratulations!!! What a beautiful little boy and he couldn't have come to a better family! How exciting for you all! I'm sure Will is going to be a wonderful big brother!!

Chalece said...

I am so happy for you guys. He is such a lucky little boy! It sounds like you had the most wonderful experience with everything, I am so glad!! I can't wait to meet him!!

Betsy said...

Congratulations! How amazing to be so involved in the whole birth process. We are so happy for you guys. How much longer will you be in town? We'd love to see you and meet little Eli if you have a chance.

Stacey said...

Congratulations, Kara,Scott and Will! What a miracle it all is. He is beautiful and very blessed to be a part of your great family. I am so happy for you! Thanks for sharing the inspiring story.

Shae said...

Congrats again! We are so happy for your family...what a wonderful birth story! I can't wait to hear how Will reacts! He's going to be a great big brother!

The Bryger Family said...

SO HANDSOME!! You have a great set of little boys. I am so happy for you and scott. What a blessing to be able to add to your family. Sounds like it was a wonderful experience.

love ya
kasey

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

What a hunk! I am still bummed we did not get to meet him ... one day. Congrats family. I am so thrilled and happy for you all!!! Give lil Eli lots of kisses from his Cousins. Xoxo, L, D, and J

Matt and Allyson said...

Congratulations Mortensens! Will is going to be a fabulous big brother. What a blessing!

Haylie said...

This made me cry a little... I'm so happy for you. Congrats! Lucky little Eli.

xoxo.
h.

A & M Ras said...

Oh my goodness he is the cutest little thing!! Congrats Mrtenson's he is darling.

Jaci said...

Wow! Tears are rolling! You guys are such a neat family. I am so happy that Eli gets to join in on the fun now! Congratulations ten times over! He is precious. I love your ambition and strength as a mother Kara. You are incredible!

Leah Miller said...

Kara!!
I haven't read your blog in so long (because it is private and doesn't show up in my feed). I just clicked on it today and WOW!!! Congrats on the new little guy. It has been fun catching up on your life. I got all teary just reading...