4.10.2008

Welcome Spring!... and bugs

This morning I hosted playgroup at our house. It was great, we had a lot of fun! In order to TRY to welcome Spring, we did some Springtime crafts. We made blossom trees with popcorn (I think eating the popcorn was more fun for the kids than the actual craft, but they turned out beatutiful!) Then we made Melting Snowmen (from Family Fun). However, the most fun/interesting/unexpected activity was "diggin" for bugs in chocolate cake... read on for more details! Isn't Will's melting snowman cute? Okay, actually I did it,
but he did help stick on the carrot nose.
And he liked holding "Melty"Here's some of the crew - thanks for coming guys, it was great!!
Here's Will showing his snowman to the camera... I think he was asking me to "open" it. Ever since Easter, he thinks that all sorts of random objects "open" like Easter eggs. Sorry Will, Melty was glued on TIGHT!
The best part of playgroup was our end activity. I told all the kids that I had some bugs in my garden, and that I didn't like bugs and needed their help digging them out of my dirt. So, each kid got a cupcake paper serving size of chocolate with a fake plastic bug at the bottom. Well, little did I know that most of the kids were going to be TERRIFIED of those plastic bugs. It was actually quite funny to watch. The little girls were panicking because they could see a green leg here and there, and some of the boys were a little a suspicious. There was a boy or two that thought it was great. And most of the kids were okay with continuing to eat their cake after I showed them that the bug was just pretend, and completely harmless. I guess I should always expect the unexpected. I had no idea the kids would think they were real, I just thought they would be excited about digging around in chocolate cake!
The aftermath of the chocolate cake! All you party throwers beware, if you'd like to hide pretend bugs in food, make sure you know who you're dealing with! The moms just stood there and laughed and tried to calm down their freaked out children, it was great. I'm sure these kiddos will think twice the next time they come to MY house, especially with food involved! Sorry guys! Hope to see you soon!


4 comments:

Cassi said...

This was too fun! Mayli still won't go near the grasshopper. That's ok though cause that just means Parker gets 2 bugs! It was such a cute idea!! And sooo funny!
Since I forgot my camera I hope you don't mind if I steal that picture of all of us and put it on my blog so I can tell this story too! :)

Betsy said...

Cute projects. That's hilarious that the kids were afraid of the bugs! I hope Spring comes for you soon. I'm starting to have hope!

Shae said...

We had so much fun! You are sweet for preparing so many great activities so that we could get through our last week (or 2) of winter. Kara you are seriously the most creative person I know! Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

Grandpa Glenn said...

How do you come up with these incredibly fun learning experiences for the kids? You are the bestest Mom!! Oh, a little explanation: I posted a comment on this blog after Kari had been using the computer... and I didn't notice that I posted under Kari's name instead of mine. Sorry, Kari!