7.09.2007

NAUVOO

This past weekend, we took a little family vacation. It was SO fun. Nauvoo is about a 5 hour drive from Rochester, so we packed up and drove down on Thursday. We arrived in Nauvoo just as the sun was setting and the temple looked amazing. It was breathtaking. Hands down, it is by far the most beautiful temple I have ever seen. It is so unique and has such a history and spirit about it. We checked into our hotel, let Will run loose and unwind a little after our long car ride - he did amazing, by the way, thanks to our car DVD player - and then went to bed.

On Friday, I woke up and went to a very busy 8am temple session while Will and Scott went for a walk and then napped. After I was done at the temple, we "toured" Nauvoo, the visitors center, and main street. Then Scott went to a session and Will and I had fun playing at "Pioneer Pastimes" where they have all sorts of games, dress ups, and toys for young kids. Even though it was really hot outside, Will LOVED it. He was such a trooper. Friday night was opening night for the Nauvoo Pageant. We enjoyed the pre-show activities and then enjoyed most of the show. We had to leave a little early for bedtime's sake.... the pageant didn't even start until 8:45pm.

Saturday was spent at Carthage (wow - what a special place) and then back in Nauvoo watching the Joseph Smith movie and seeing more of Nauvoo. We also enjoyed stuffing ourselves at the buffet at Hotel Nauvoo, it was so worth it.

Sunday we went to church with an enormous crowd of people - bigger than any stake conference I've ever seen. Then drove home. We had such a fun trip, there is such a special spirit in Nauvoo, remembering our ancestors, and what they have done for us. Both of our testimonies were strengthened and we are so much more appreciative of the simple things in life... especially each other. It was great to get away just our little family and enjoy spending time together in such a unique place. We can't wait to go back! I'll post pictures as soon as we are back in Minneapolis!

3 comments:

Jaci said...

Wow! You made me want to go and see it. I think you just wrote an inspirational advertisement for Navoo tours. ;) I'm excited to see photos!

OurHappyFamily said...

Scott and Kara I'm so excited to find you guys. . . I saw your names on Todd and Amy Blakes blog and wanted to say h!. You guys both look great and have a darling little baby. Don't you just LOVE being parents. There is nothing better in the world!!!

My fam- www.curtisandhillary.blogspot.com

USU love,
Hillary (Brady) Whalen

Amy said...

Sounds like an amazing trip! I haven't been there since I was really young and would love to be able to go now... and especially to go through a temple session!