2.24.2011

dredding it


Last week I was feeling a little adventurous. Eli's hair is long. Like 3 inches long when I comb it out. That might not seems too long to some people, but it is. One night after Eli's bath, I doused his hair with conditioner and decided I would attempt to comb it all out. Well..... the reason I say attempt, is because we haven't cut, not tried to to comb his hair for about 6 months. Of course we wash it regularly and give his scalp a good scrubbing, but we haven't actually taken a comb to it before. I had looked up all sorts of info on the internet, and basically decided that if I was going to comb it out and manage his tight curly hair, I needed lots of conditioner, some de-tangling spray, a pick, and some baby oil. So I set to work, while his hair was nice and wet, I set him in front of a movie, and started "combing" his hair out. I was a little shocked at how long it actually was, and how CURLY it is. It is so tight and curly that when we don't comb it, his curls just stick to his head and it looks like his hair is cut really short. Well, I got it all comb out, and it was awesome. Unfortunately I didn't snap a picture, but I will, next time..... in another six months. Hahaha, just kidding!
The next morning, I was so excited about our hair success that I got really adventurous. I tried to actually DO something with his long, luscious locks. I decided I would do some twisted dreds. Once again, my friend Google guided me along the way. Since I didn't have a lot of time and I was doing this single-handedly, I did really big chunks of hair. I've learned that if I want the twists to stay in place, I need to do them much, much, smaller, use some gel, and have another set of hands working on it with me. Any volunteers? :) The dreds only stayed in for an hour or so before we was rolling around and they were coming out.
You can't really get the full effect from these pictures, but they were pretty funny. Will thought they were hilarious and keeps wanting us to do some more. I'm thinking we're going to need some professional help, which we have a great referral for! It was so fun to monkey around with Eli's hair. Mostly, it just made me really want a baby girl so I could play with and fix hair every day! I really want to try the twists again, so if I do, I'll make sure they look awesome and I'll post another picture. These ones were a little hard around the sides and back of his hair because it is really short. It was really fun though and no matter what, Eli is still the cutest baby ever. He's completely irresistible in every way. We love munching on his kissable cheeks and getting big sloppy kisses from those cute lips. His hair is just another unique quality of his and we just love it.

Okay, one more funny story that I thought was so cute. While we were at my sister's in CO, my niece (who's 9) went to her mom and said "Mom?! Have you seen Eli's hands? They are SO cool, they are really dark on one side and then pink on the other!" It was pretty cute. Eli is something else, that's for sure! I thought it was so sweet, I love it.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

We think your family is beautiful. It is nice having you guys living close and we would like to hang out, it would be like candy canes at christmas to get together and play some games. Thats all, just wanted to say hi and mention this little tid bit.
-Blake

Betsy said...

What a handsome boy! Love that hair...good luck with it!