11.16.2010

worst mother in the world award presented to....

MYSELF.

Oh my gosh, I am so embarrassed, and humbled. Just when you think you've got things under control, something crazy happens. Here's what happened today:

We are staying at my sisters house. She is the RS president. She got a call to run visit a sister in the neighborhood and had to run out. Great, no problem. So I was watching the kiddos, all six of them. Which sounds like a lot, but these are really good kids. A nine year old, then three boys 5,4,and 3 who play awesome, and then a 2 year old girl, and Eli who is 1. Now it really sounds like a lot, but I promise, they are E-A-S-Y!

So my sister runs out the front door and I sit down at the kitchen table with my trusty organized planner. Her 5 year old opens the front door and says "Mom?! Where are you going?!" Then comes back in. Unfortunately he didn't shut the door quite tight. Eli, the curious mister that he is, pried the door open with his little fingers and unbeknownst to me, crawled right out the front door! AHHHHHHH!

Well good luck it was a breezy day and I felt the chilly air just in time to see him at the END of the driveway, just one crawl away from the STREET. OH MY GOSH, I was freaking out. And feeling totally humiliated, especially since the neighbor had seen out her window and came running out as well. To think what could have happened, I'm just grateful I felt that sudden panic that it was too quiet and suddenly that the door was open.

Yep, worst mother award to ME today.

4 comments:

The Bryger Family said...

Not the worst mother at all. thank goodness for Guardian angels.

kasey

Betsy said...

Don't worry, I've definitely had my moments too. Like when Claire was turning 3 and we had gone out to dinner with family and were coming home to have cake/ice cream. We were inside for a good 10-15 minutes before I realized that poor Quin (6 months old at the time) was still in his carseat in the car in the dark garage.

Glad you guys made it to Utah safely. We'll for sure call you next time we're in town.

Mary said...

I think things like that happen to all of us now and then. I hate that sick feeling you get in your stomach when you think "what could have happened?!" And then your mind wanders off and thinks of all these horrible outcomes. Don't feel bad, I still think you are an amazing mother!

Barton Family said...

Kara you should be giving yourself the best mother of the year award. You didn't let him actually get to the street! :) Us Mom's have our work cut out for us. I am sure that all of us out there can match you with this story. It's good everyone survived. Can't wait to see you guys.