11.28.2009

babies...

Being the youngest of 8 kids, I not only have a lot of siblings, I also have A LOT of nieces and nephews. When I was just five years old, my oldest sister had a baby girl. I've grown up with my niece(s) almost my whole life. We played together, I babysat them all the time, and I always knew that when we grew up, we would probably be having babies together.... or at least have children close in age.

Well, that day has come folks. Just two weeks after Eli joined our family, my beautiful little niece McKenzie had a baby! Carver Miles. I always think McKenzie is so young, but she is not any younger than any of my sisters or friends who got married and had babies. It is just a little weird to have a sister who is a GRANDMA, and to call myself a GREAT AUNT.... or my parents GREAT GRANDPARENTS. Weird? yes, fun? yes, amazing for our family to be THREE generational? yes. Watching her be a mom, awesome.

I'm so happy for you McKenzie, and I am excited our boys will be great friends!!

Here's a sampling of what Eli looks next to my great nephew. Now, you have to understand that Eli is a big kid, and Carver is a small kid... but just look at the difference. I was worried Eli was going to steam roller Carver and break him. Maybe Eli looks so much bigger because of the hair? Or the cheeks? I don't know? Just two weeks apart.....

Me and McKenzie, Carver all small and snuggly, and Eli so big I can barely hang on to him....

I guess you have to keep in mind that my niece is super small, barely 5 foot, and tiny bones. Her hubby is also super skinny, but a little taller... so Carver has great genes and I'm sure he'll catch up to Eli in no time. In the mean time, we are restricting Eli's "eat on demand" feeding schedule. JUST KIDDING!

PS - When one of my other nephews heard about Carver's arrival, he said "hey! That's like Will's name, Will MortenCarverson!" Yes, Matt, it is William Carver Mortensen.... two boys with a great name!

1 comment:

mom2beachbums said...

Oh wow, so what does that make me ~ a geat 2nd cousin? That doesn't sound really old and I feel REALLY old now!! McKenzie is a beautiful mama like her aunt Kara and those baby boys are soooo sweet!! And Eli is just like Ellie ~ on a superfast growth track in the beginning. She just hit 15 pounds and she's barely 3 months. So if we'd lay them next to each other she would look like a steamroller next to Eli! Eli looks so adorable in all his pictures! I wish I could give him some snuggling. Will looks like such a great and natural big brother. Enjoy your boys and hope your getting enough rest these days Kara. Praying that all goes well and comes soon for you to be back home!