10.19.2008

Swords, Knives, and a 2 Year old

Have you ever noticed while reading the Book of Mormon that it is pretty violent?  I never did, until I started reading Book of Mormon Stories (for children) to Will every night.  Recently, Will has developed into the very boy stage where everything is a sword or a knife.  Just yesterday he came up to me with his golf club and said "this is my sword, let's fight!" I said "I don't think we should fight, I like to be friends and be nice, is that okay?" Will said "No, just nice people fight, let's fight!"  

Or how about this conversation I overheard (Will talking to his dinosaurs) "Arrrrgh, you're being very naughty apatosaurus, I'm going to cut your head off and throw you down the stairs.  This is my knife, you be nice right now!"

Yikes.  This is not good, I'm not blaming it on the Book of Mormon, he loves to read it, but repeats to us the most gruesome parts, and I'm afraid that is what he is remembering.  I think we need to do a better job at pointing out the principal of the story to him.... which we try, but it usually ends up something like this: we say "Nephi was obedient, he had to be really brave so he could get the gold plates....." Will says "He's not very nice, he cut off his head...."

It's a boy thing, right?  He's still sweet, right?  I sure hope so, because I don't really know what I'm doing here!

PS - sorry for the double non-picture posts.... I'll get some up soon!

4 comments:

Krista said...

Yes...it's a boy thing. Matt turns everything into a sword or gun. He told me he was very excited to leave church today so he could go home and get his gun. Scary...I know. But since he tries to sword fight with things that really hurt...I decided to give in and found him some foam swords at Wal-Mart for $2 for Christmas. Glad to know it's not just my boy!

mom2beachbums said...

Just like Krista said....Yes, a boy thing and YES he's still sweet!!

The Bryger Family said...

I am going with the whole it is a boy thing. There is no way you and Scott could raise someone not sweet.

Love you guys,
Kasey

Amy said...

Yesterday Easton watched some boys at the park playing with their guns and light sabors and I thought I'd never be able to tear him away! It's crazy how natural it seems to be for them... Will has always seemed like a sweetheart, I'm sure that won't change!