6.29.2008

Our little angel....

Here we are, mother and son.... isn't that a sweet little face he has? He's saying "CHEEESE!" Well, you might think he looks innocent, but inside that cute little face of his is a two year old! I never believed anybody when they used say "terrible twos" I thought it was all their fault for not being good parents. Ha! Looks whose laughing now - not me!

Will turned two the end of April, and we've had an interesting past few months. The inner 2 year old has emerged, and it isn't pretty. I'm sure it's not my parenting style, I've read all the books, done all the research, so basicall, I'm a perfect mother... ha! Again, look whose laughing - not me! Every day I ask myself... where did we go wrong? Have we not given him enough choices, is he getting enough positive attention, and positive reinforcement? Is he sleep deprived? Are we spoiling him too much? Does he need to run outside and burn off more energy? Should I just forget it when he throws a monsterous fit everytime we leave the house because he doesn't want to put on his shoes.... who cares about shoes, and why is it such a big deal if he doesn't wear any (because people look at you funny in the store if your child has a dirty face and is shoeless... not good)?

Or, how about the other day when I told him it was time for lunch and and suddenly he collapsed on the floor, tears raging, and screaming hysterically. What does that mean? And who cries over lunch? I'm always thrilled at meal times... I think those are MY own issues though. OR, even better, any sort of hint at the word bed or naptime.... don't even go there. So, where has my angel gone? I know he's trapped up inside that adorable body somewhere, I can't wait until he comes back..... and I must say, the two's are not ALL bad. We have our wonderful, inspiring, loving moments too, thank goodness, or else I don't think I could muster my way through the next 18 years. My apologies go out to all mothers of 2 year olds.... actually just to ALL mothers. And my apologies for all the people Will has glared at and said "NO!" so defiantly when I tell him to say "Hi!" or "Bye!" - we're working on manners..... :)
I'm almost done rambling, I promise... but let me leave you with this little diddy. As I enjoyed some time after church today, it got very quiet. I was upstairs changing my clothes and thought to myself... "it is WAY too quiet for anything good to be happening downstairs." So I called to Will: "What are you doing Will?" and I got a scary reply "I'm just getting something in your purse!" So, of course I finished changing, grabbed my camera, walked downstairs, and found my whole purse dumped out, lotion open, other feminine things open, and starburst wrappers scattered about, and WILL with his mouth full of starbursts. I don't know how many he ate, the wrappers were too small to tell. He just smiled at me so innocently and said "Cheeeeese!"
This is after some clean-up - and Will did a great job of putting things back where he found them. He even took all the wrappers to the garbage without me asking him. See? There's the little boy I know!

Who are you looking at? Me? Oh I couldn't ever be doing anything mischievious or sneaky, I'm way too innocent for anything like that! This starburst in my hands? I don't know where it came from, didn't you give it to me, since I ate all my lunch? Oh you didn't, oh well. It sure is tasty!

9 comments:

Chalece said...

I love it! I was laughing during the entire reading. Will is so funny.

Anonymous said...

Just a heads up...Three's are even more terrible! :)

Shae said...

you are so funny kara! Hang in there! 2 year olds definitely spice up life!

Lisa said...

Kara

I don't know why everyone talks about terrible twos, there is terrible threes, fours, fives, you get the picture--even at 14 there are those moments! I can only imagine what lays ahead. Who ever thought kids should have free agency?:) Lucky for all of us there are many wonderful times in between!

jfb said...

okay, now i'm scared. addie is 22 months and she's already starting the tantrums. any good tips in all those parenting books? i had to stop reading them, they were making me way to anxious.

it's a good think will is so darn cute to get you through all the fits. :)

Bridget said...

Yikes - all I can say is at least he's not a girl too. Okay, maybe I just think that girls are harder because that's what my 3-year-old is. Because, of course my 13 month old is an absolute angel and will stay that way. Right?

Jaci said...

ha! I love that you posted something so honest. sometimes i feel like i read blogs and people only share the magical moments of their kiddos. I learn so much more from posts like this one. The lesson from this-- Will is a NORMAL boy. You aren't bad parents just because he is in the shoe-hate phase. ;)
I know I have a lot to look forward to with my baby Ike. Oh BOY!
It's a good thing WILL is so stinking adorable. I'm sure his happy moments out weight the naughty ones.

I've been searhing for strollers more. did you buy your combi as a set (carseat and stroller)? do you feel like the stroller is good for a lot of walking outside? Thanks for your advice!-- Jaci

Amy said...

Oh, but it's so cute! I'm impressed he could get through the starburst wrappers so quickly :) At almost 18 months we're starting to see glimpses here and there of what may be coming with the "terrible twos". It's a little scary!

brooklin said...

what? it gets worse? reagan is quite the tantrum-thrower.. at only 21 months. so it's not just me-- being that bad mom? good to know. will is too cute-- i thought all your stories were funny. and for the record, if will glared at me i'd still think he was adorable!