2.13.2011

great weekend

We had a fantastic weekend. It has been nice to have healthy kids and be able to get out a little bit more. Plus, this week we've had sunshine and great weather, so we've spent some time outside in the sunshine! Eli loves to be outside and cries and cries when we have to come inside. He just walks up and down the sidewalk, inspecting things and waving at cars. His favorite it the school bus, he waves and all the kids wave back.

Scott and I enjoyed a great date on Friday night. We considered it our "Valentine" date. We went to dinner and then we went to the symphony at Abravanel Hall. It was so fun and relaxing. We had a great time. We saw a young Korean pianist, who started playing the piano at age 4. She was amazing, she didn't have music and she played with her eyes closed most of the time. She was so into the music, it was really incredible to watch.


The one question on my mind the whole time was, "how does the conductor know what he's doing with his arms and hands?" I'm sure some of you musical people could tell me, but it was pretty amazing to watch. I am sure he has a very important role in the whole production, but it is hard to tell how he knows and how the musicians know how to follow him. The music was great, the Hall is so beautiful, and it was so fun to be with Scott. We chatted, ate hot tamales secretly during the "show", and had a very relaxing time.

THEN, on Saturday, we had such a great day!! We've been looking forward to this day for about a year and half now. When we found out we were getting Eli, we also found out that our birthmother had placed a baby with a family three years before, that was here in Utah. We were so excited to learn that Eli had a full sibling!! We were even more excited after we talked on the phone and got to know a little more about each other. On Saturday, we were able to meet the family and their sweet girls. Aleyah (Eli's sister) is now Will's age. She is beautiful. Just by looking at Eli and Aleyah, there is no mistake that they are siblings, they could be twins. Aleyah also has a little sister who was adopted just ten months after her. They are the sweetest, cutest, little girls. I feel so lucky, and so blessed that we share this connection with such an amazing family. They were so sweet and kind, gracious, and patient with my crazy Eli wandering all through their house!
I know Eli is escaping this picture, but he's still pretty cute, so I thought I'd post it. We had a great time. We had lunch, talked, and laughed. The kids decorated sugar cookies and had a blast. Eli warmed right up and completely made himself at home..... not too out of the ordinary for him. I was expecting him to be a little bit more shy, but I think he just felt like he was with family. Scott and I have said 100 times what a special and unique situation this is. We feel a connection to those who have adopted or are adopted themselves, but there is nothing like the connection between families who share a birth mother! It was so awesome to hear their adoption story, to connect with them through our sweet babies.

Most of all, I can't wait for our sweet birth mother to see pictures of her babes together. I wish I could be a fly on the wall! I am so excited that we can get to know this family better and hopefully get together with them often. I think it will be so great for our kids to know each other and grow up knowing each other. Will had a great time too! All afternoon he was talking about the girls and that he thought they were very nice and very cute. He especially thought their hair was pretty. He's been drawing pictures of them, and they are so sweet. I'm just so happy right now and I feel so blessed. I've said it before, but our adoption has completely changed our lives and I feel so grateful for these amazing people in my life. I wish everyone could experience this, it is an amazing thing!(Aleyah, sitting by Will, decorating cookies... and the back of cute little Jacie.... and the eyes of Eli! Hee hee)

They had a great time decorating cookies. This is a funny picture of Will, but I had to get one of his cookies, he was doing a fantastic job. Eli mostly wanted to eat the sprinkles.... by the handfuls.... or pick them off his cookies with the frosting. He is such a hoot!

We had a wonderful week. Here's to another week of great adventures!! .... and Happy Valentines Day, I have lots of love in my life and I'm so lucky!

5 comments:

The Bryger Family said...

yay for date nights! Espcially valentine day date nights! And if you find out about the conductor let me know :).

and how AMAZING that you found Eli's sister! What a great connection to have with someone. I am so happy for you and your family and reading about the joy you have in your lives because of Will and because of Eli.

love you guys!
Kasey

Betsy said...

How fun!

It was so great to see you guys last week. Maybe someday we'll live close to each other so we can hang out all the time.

I love Will's art, by the way. We have an artist at our house too, I actually just put some of her pictures on our blog. She draws different things than Will does, though...a lot of rainbows, flowers, girly things etc.

jkmortensen said...

Wow, what a neat experience. Thanks of sharing.
miss you love ya,
kari

Chalece said...

How amazing that you live so close to Eli's sister's family. I love all of your posts and pictures.

And of course you had hot tamales... they always make me think of you. :)

Sarah Palfreyman said...

Hi Kara! You always look so cute, you know that? Can I copy your outfits ?:) Love Will's drawings. So sweet that you got to meet more of Eli's family..you guys were meant to be in Utah.